Thursday, September 9, 2010

And the clock keeps ticking.....

I have a rare moment of silence in our home.  Tim took Justin to youth group and Sarah tagged along with him!  Sammy boy is now fast  asleep.  I sat down on the couch and thought about what I might do with my time.  I have been so convicted about all of the media I take in and we don't even do TV anymore.  However, I still have NETFLIX, social media, radio, and of course the Internet to peruse. I waste more time and it just kills me.

Today I read a devotional in John Piper's book, "A Godward Life-Book II". It  hit on all cylinders.  It was entitled, "Please Feed Me More, The Cry of Dying Faith".   His opening paragraph:  "Faith feed on the Word of God.  Without a steady diet it gets weaker and weaker.  If you are dissatisfied with your Christian courage and joy and purity of heart, check the way you are feeding your faith."  And that about sums it up.  Back to my first point about wasting time; I know that media in itself is not evil, it is the desire of my heart that I have a problem with.  The things I mentioned above are things that typically dull my affections for my Lord Jesus Christ.  After engaging in such things for too long, I am left feeling like an empty shell and dull in the mind.

So you might ask, how are you feeding your faith? Honestly, it's unsatisfactory. My morning devotional time with the Lord is just so short, mainly because I wake up just minutes before Samuel  and with that  the Mama hat goes on.  At this stage in the pregnancy, by nightfall I just want to climb into bed and sleep.  I can hear my dear friends telling me that it's just a season and this too shall pass.  But I know that this life is a vapor and I am not guaranteed tomorrow.  I don't want to waste another day with idleness!

And this is my prayer:
Lord God, thank Your for Your Holy Spirit Who convicts me of my sin and the precious blood of Jesus Christ that makes it possible for me to be in right standing before You. Please forgive me for my wastefulness and selfishness with the minutes of the day.   Please change my heart Lord. Please help me to desire You more and put to death the deeds of my flesh.  Please give me a hunger and thirst for Your Word,  for in that will I find true satisfaction.  As Your child, You created me for Your glory-please let it be.

Until next time,

Missy

No comments: