Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Daily Bread

Proverbs 30:7-9

"Two things I ask of you , O Lord: do not refuse me before I die:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me: give me neither poverty nor riches,

but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?"

Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

I read this scripture more than two weeks ago and I am still struggling to put my thoughts into words. There's a deep groaning that takes place with in me as I recite the vs. "but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?". The truth is, it seems the more possessions I own and desire to acquire, the distraction increases and satisfaction in Him decreases. It's a continuous tension in my life as a follower of Christ. Sometimes my hope is too closely yoked with the balance in my bank account, large or small.

I think of John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" and how this life is a pilgrimage to everlasting life. Somehow, it seems that eternity with our Maker is just so far away I often forget that this life is not all there is. My hope as a believer isn't in what I can see, but rather in what I cannot. In reading through the book of Titus, listen to what Paul says about hope.

"Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness. A faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie promised before the beginning of time and at his appointed season he brought his word to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior." Titus 1:1-3 (emphasis mine)
I don't have all of this figured out. As I stated before, it's a continuous tension. Today, I will echo the prayer in Proverbs and the words of Paul.
I pray the knowledge of your truth in my life will indeed lead to godliness. May my faith and knowledge rest alone in the hope of eternal life. Today, please give me only my daily bread that I might not disown You and say, "Who is the Lord." And I might add; please help me to truly delight in You that everything else might be a dim comparison to Your glory for now and ever more.
Until next time,

Missy

No comments: